Monday 1 October 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Mrs Elliott (LRC)



It is always a bit of a worry when you have read and enjoyed the first two books in a trilogy; will the third book be as good? Will the ending be disappointing?

Having finished ‘The Hunger Games’ and ‘Catching Fire’, I picked up ‘Mockingjay’ with some trepidation. The characters in the series were firmly established in my mind, but I had no real idea of how the story would conclude. As I sped through the first couple of chapters, I knew very quickly that this book was going to be a great read. At this point I tried to read more slowly, to ‘ration’ my reading with the hope of making the book last a bit longer!!

The thing I have loved about all three books is the description, through which a strange and different world can be imagined. As I read ‘Mockingjay’, I was transported to Panem, I tasted strange and delicious foods and I hid in the fur shop with the characters.  

Mockingjay is the most violent of the three books, something I would not usually enjoy, however, even the goriest scenes were written in a way that made you feel the violence was not gratuitous, but a real and necessary part of the story.

The ending (I won’t reveal what happens) did not disappoint, which was a relief. My next dilemma was whether or not to watch the film of the Hunger Games? Would it spoil my own interpretation of the book? Would the characters look and sound as I imagined them? In the end I did watch the film and, as is often the case, it was good, but not as good as the book!

I can highly recommend the Hunger Games trilogy and especially Mockingjay; you will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment