Wednesday 17 October 2012

Danny Champion of the World by Roald Dahl - Mr Bartlett and his 7K1 class



Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl has been one of my favourite books since I was a small boy.  I have wonderful memories of having it read to me by my Mum & Dad.  This is my favourite book because it captures all the joy and excitement of growing up and I am now lucky enough to read it to my own children as they grow up.  I hope they (and you) love it as much as I do!


Danny is a small boy growing up with his father after his mother died when he was a baby.  They live in an old fashioned gypsy caravan deep in the countryside. Danny’s earliest memories are of playing amongst the tools and grease of his father’s garage but his life is soon to change as he discovers his father’s deep dark secret.


Danny loves his Dad more than anything but one day finds out he has a dark and dangerous secret!  Danny doesn't really approve of his Dad's actions but needs to leap into action in a daring rescue mission when his Dad disappears in the middle of the night!  It is only then that Danny decides to take his revenge on the cruel Mr Victor Hazell by hatching a cunning plan to rob him of the things most precious to him on the day of the Great Shoot.


With a range of fantastic characters from Sergeant Samways to Doc Spencer and red faced rotter Mr Hazell, this book has moments that will have you on the edge of your seat, ready to cry one minute and laugh out loud the next!

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be crawling through a dark wood with someone waiting to shoot you with a shotgun?   If so, and you want to know if his plan pays off and Danny truly becomes Champion of the World, you will have to read this wonderful book!

No comments:

Post a Comment